About Me

My photo
I'm immortally interested in cultural/literary deconstructions, feminism, anti-racism, South Korea, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Hayao Miyazaki, Diana Wynne Jones, food (including but not limited to maple butter, tomatoes, and toast), fairy tales, parentheses, paper airplanes, films and books.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Worse Off Wednesday

Worse Off Wednesday is a brand new weekly meme created over at The Book Buff. Every week you post up about a character you think is worse off.

This meme is a brilliant idea. I can think of tons of characters who are worse off. Of course, most books I read feature a character who get progressively worse off as the story goes on. One of the most recent ones that come to mind is Alison from Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson.

Being able to see music and taste colors sounds great at first but imagine not being able to turn it off. Ever. Imagine having to hide it, ignore it even as it pushes against your brain itself, because you're afraid of your mother who forbid from ever even mentioning it. Then imagine believing that you killed a girl because of it, and being carted off to a psychiatric hospital after confessing all about it.

To date, I've yet to remember a character in a contemporary world who started off this bad. Despite the intelligent love interest, I wouldn't change my place with Alison if I was given position as Emperor of the World. (OK, maybe. Just maybe.)

2 comments:

  1. Yay I'm so glad you like the meme! Next week I'll have a linky up on the post so you can link your participating posts right there for everyone to see!


    -Kate the Book Buff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I look forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete