About Me

My photo
I'm immortally interested in cultural/literary deconstructions, feminism, anti-racism, South Korea, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Hayao Miyazaki, Diana Wynne Jones, food (including but not limited to maple butter, tomatoes, and toast), fairy tales, parentheses, paper airplanes, films and books.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Liar, Liar

Micah will freely admit that she's a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she'll ever tell you. Over the years she's duped her classmates, her teachers, and even her parents, and she's always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as naturally as breathing?

Taking readers deep into the psyche of a young woman who will say just about anything to convince them, and herself, that she's finally come clean, Liar is a bone-chilling thriller that will have readers see-sawing between truths and lies right up to the end. Honestly


Wow.

I love reading unconventional books but wow. Liar blew my expectations out of the water. That said, the one twist that had everyone talking, I saw coming a mile away, but the hallmark of a good writer is being able to turn that twist around and make it interesting despite the fact that it was obvious.

I think what made this book so good was its unorthodox storytelling. Larbalestier talked about using Scrivener in her Author's Acknowledgement, and that without it, the book might not have existed. I can understand that; I use Scrivener myself and it must have eased the writing process for this book so much. And if Scrivener helped Larbalestier, I'm sure that it'll help some other writers out there, looking for some unconventional methods to storytelling.

I'm not sure if I can really talk about this without spoiling the hell out of it. The only thing that I can say is that it is definitely a book that defines the best of its genre. Now nothing I can read about ________ will be able to come up to this. (Even though the existence of the matter is still subjective in itself.) Which sucks, really. I guess that means I'm confined to re-read Liar over and over again, although that doesn't seem like such a bad idea . . . especially since my mind is still spinning over the possibilities.

All in all=☆☆☆☆☆


*Summary taken from Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I saw the twist in the middle too but I didn't like the fact that she was trying to tell the truth then decided that no she was lying and retold the story all over again. Idk about that. I'm glad you liked it and probably other people did too. I just got fed up with it and stopped reading it. I might give it another shot though after reading this review. It seems like I gave up too early on it. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! The twist I think has a twist in itself. I mean, we know she's a liar so what if she made the twist up as well to hide the fact that maybe she's the killer? In any case, I really liked the book and hope you do give it a shot just in case it missed the mark the first time around!

    ReplyDelete