About Me

My photo
I'm immortally interested in cultural/literary deconstructions, feminism, anti-racism, South Korea, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Hayao Miyazaki, Diana Wynne Jones, food (including but not limited to maple butter, tomatoes, and toast), fairy tales, parentheses, paper airplanes, films and books.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists.

I'm adding another meme and this one particularly interested me. This week we're to list our top ten favorite minor characters ever. This is going to take SO MUCH THINKING.


(WARNING: MILD SPOILERS)


1. Irene Adler from the Sherlock Holmes series

Daring enough to blackmail a king. Cool enough to pull off the bored noblewoman. Cunning enough to pull the wool over Holmes's eyes and outsmart him while he's in the middle of outsmarting her. All of this in a time when women were considered petty creatures who scheme for the sake of it. Adler was the only person to ever have outmatched Holmes. She's everything I want to be and more.

2. Myrnin from the Morganville Vampires series

Three words sum up my love for him: crazy (literally) genius vampire. (OK, so that's four but whatever.)

3. Foaly from the Artemis Foal series.

A genius who's also half horse? I was half in love with him when I first discovered in my fourth grade - of course, the other half of my love went to the boy who out-geniused him.

4. Lady Dela from the Eon series

Who's the most conniving courtesan you'll ever meet? Lady Dela, that's who. She's also got more things to worry about like what inner robe matches best with her hairpiece and which one would coordinate better with the emperor's dress than whether a handful of people in court hate her and her cross-dressing ways.

5. Sarai from the Trickster series

Sarai is awesome. I would have put Dove up but she's not really a minor character (then again, none of mine seem to be either). I loved Sarai from the moment Ali noticed the way she treated the slaves and the way they treated her. Like she said herself, everyone assumed she was just an airheaded. The fact that she used that to her advantage made my eleven-year-old jaw drop in admiration, and it still does.

6. Diana from Anne of Green Gables

Diana brings back memories. I always found that she was the ideal best friend. Even if she and Anne fought, it was easily mended. She was polite but brave, curious but timid and an adventurer that liked to travel through books rather than like the safety of her home. Kindred spirits indeed, I still think the cordial incident is the funniest thing since my brother's home videos.

7. Simon from the Mortal Instruments series

I'm listing him because he was so utterly and completely wasted in this soap opera-ish drama-fueled series. OK, I admit I was going to buy City of Fallen Angels because it's supposed to focus on him but then ... the rumors. At the first rumor about the book centering around Couple-Whose-Names-Shall-Not-Be-Named, I headed straight for the library and almost bawled my way through the book. There should be Character Police. Simon shouldn't be wasted with female characters of whom he shares no chemistry with and be caught dead sharing the same pages angsty-wangsty of the Shall-Not-Be-Named, let alone be best friends with. He's smart like actually, got turned into a rat, and despite the fact that he's a day-walking vampire, he's still a geeky smartass. Cla-a-are! *whiny flail* Why?

All right, all right. Rant over.

8. Kendra from Beastly

She was awesome. Just awesome. This isn't the beautiful enchantress/wrinkled old lady who graced the original Belle et Le Bete: she's just your everyday girl who'll pretty much kick your ass to last Tuesday if you mess with her. Who wouldn't want the ability to turn your tormentor into a beast?

9. Tyson from the Percy Jackson series

So. Cute.

10. Sydney from the Vampire Academy series

My favorite character in the series after Black Lissa (who didn't last long - hmph!), she also appears in the only book in the last half of the series that gets three stars. It was deducted one because eventually Rose had to meet Dimitri. And whine again. Though the staking was epic. And so is Sydney because she seems like a kindred spirit all geeky and such. I'll be reading her book with trepidation. (Wait does that mean she doesn't count as a minor character after all? Should I add Bloodlines to the line of books where she comes from?)


So I have a feeling none of the listed are really minor characters. I've failed this epically but on the other hand this list took me two hours of sifting through my Goodreads "read" pile to create so there's no way I'm doing this all over again. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment