About Me

My photo
I'm immortally interested in cultural/literary deconstructions, feminism, anti-racism, South Korea, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Hayao Miyazaki, Diana Wynne Jones, food (including but not limited to maple butter, tomatoes, and toast), fairy tales, parentheses, paper airplanes, films and books.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Follow Me Friday


Follow Me Friday is a Weekly Meme hosted by Parajunkee. This is my first time participating so I`ll be borrowing last week's question.

Q. Circle time! Time to share. What character in a book would you most like to be, what character in a book would you most like to date?



Hermione, hands down. She is possibly one of the realest female characters in YA literature. Not only is she a brainiac and a bookworm and is proud of it, but that brain of hers is what helps Harry and Ron 90% of the time they get in trouble. She suffers from insecurities, she has a platonic friendship with a guy who isn't in love with her and she's part of a minority (albeit a fake one). And unlike most adventure or epic-natured books, she is shown to be just as brave and just as strong as the men. That's probably the moment I wanted to be her so badly it hurt: when she endured through Bellatrix's torturing and came more or less the same girl who went in. Torture does change a person but it's completely possible to withstand torture that is directed towards your race (or blood?). (This is not affected by the fact that I think Emma Watson's gorgeous, hence one of her older pictures above.)

My date would probably be in the same vein as Hermione, in a metaphorical light. It would be Mackie from The Replacement. Sure, some people might choose a guy who's strong and a "bad boy" or deceptively evil but when I was reading the book, Mackie felt so real I sometimes forgot he was a fictional character (and a fairy? Goblin? Still don't know what they are.) I loved that he looked weird, that he was a loner for a reason and that he had temptations to which he succumbed before learning his lesson. I loved that he was dying and yet was still worried about other people, that he had such an amazing best friend and that he could lose himself in music. He had a hobby, ladies and gentlemen. Yes, a paranormal male protagonist written by a woman with a hobby. Yeah, if anyone, it'd be him though getting around town might be a little bit difficult ...

(No picture because I find the one on the 2nd edition to be horrendous towards my image of him.)

2 comments:

  1. I would be Hermione too, and I think I'd want to date Ron :) I always liked him, and I think Rupert Grint has grown up to be VERY attractive, so that helps :) I don't think I'd want to date Harry, he's a bit too much of a gloomy gus for me

    -Kate the Book Buff
    http://www.thebookbuff.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Ron also has a sense of humor which is a strong plus in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete