About Me

My photo
I'm immortally interested in cultural/literary deconstructions, feminism, anti-racism, South Korea, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Hayao Miyazaki, Diana Wynne Jones, food (including but not limited to maple butter, tomatoes, and toast), fairy tales, parentheses, paper airplanes, films and books.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Goodbye, Sahara!


Random update followed by review tomorrow!

The Hunger Games has officially started now that they've collected their cast. Sigh. I don't have much of an objection for Jennifer Lawrence after I've seen her in Winter's Bone (gah, she was simply amazing!) but every time I see her, it irks me that they really had to cast a blue-eyed, blond Amazon to play a scrawny Italian-looking girl. It's not just that, but the rest of the main cast as well. Why not give the role of Haymitch to a black guy? Or the role of Effie? Although maybe Effie was seen as white, I don't remember her skin being described as white. I mean, sure we can all say that "Hey! They can act! Hair color and contacts and tan and weight loss (it is Hollywood of course) exist!" but really? Does no one see the fact that this is just another movie that's being completely whitewashed? I can't imagine what this movie would have been in the hands of European-based studios. In any case, there's also speculation that the location of the filming will be around North Carolina, where the call for extras was given. (Source: The USA Today)

I think I've found Oprah's successor. And also my new role model. And my new number one on my to-meet list. Introducing the Oprah of Afghanistan: Mozhdah!

Giveaways! A contest is being held over at Jest Kept Secret and the prizes are so good. They're offering Paranormalcy, Leviathan, a mock cover and a query critique! You can enter multiple times for each link (tweet, facebook, etc) for the contest as well as support for Help Write Now which is a website dedicated to helping out with the disasters in the Southeast. Donate, blog or bid, do whatever you can to help, contest or no!

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment