About Me

My photo
I'm immortally interested in cultural/literary deconstructions, feminism, anti-racism, South Korea, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Hayao Miyazaki, Diana Wynne Jones, food (including but not limited to maple butter, tomatoes, and toast), fairy tales, parentheses, paper airplanes, films and books.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Replacementx2

Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.


I was engrossed from the first page. Finally a story of fairies were there not actually pretty, nice or "dark". Where changelings don't grow to be beautiful and feminine so the hero can fall in love with them. In this story, the replacements are something so dark and twisted that sometimes they're afraid of themselves. I would be too if I realized the person I replaced was killed by having their baby throat torn out. I was gleeful from that first mention and the description of a fairy having skin so bright it looked like a burn freshly healed and a ring of vicious scar around their neck, like the story of that girl and her ribbon.

I've missed these fairies (or whatever they're supposed to be called - it wasn't exactly clear in the book). The kind that would lure you over with the sound of their voice then eat your face while you smile encouragingly. I loved Mackie and all his "I'm dying. WTF? I'm dying!" and his pale hair and creepy quietness and his sister whom I think would be actually be a little bit more cuter together if it wasn't for the fact that they, you know, grew up together. I loved how the good guys were actually bad guys too and the whole convoluted concept of the give-and-take that these supernatural entities live on.

It was just all around excellent. Like Wicked Lovely's little brother who is actually ten times more seducing and ten times as dark. I read it in the morning despite the blurb (which half made me suspicious at first) and will now proceed in curling up in my bed with only my lamp on to read the chills right out of me.


All in all=☆☆☆☆☆


*Summary taken from Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment