About Me

My photo
I'm immortally interested in cultural/literary deconstructions, feminism, anti-racism, South Korea, Supernatural, Sherlock Holmes, Hayao Miyazaki, Diana Wynne Jones, food (including but not limited to maple butter, tomatoes, and toast), fairy tales, parentheses, paper airplanes, films and books.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Looking For New Worlds


Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.*

To sum it this book in one word: brilliant. After I finished it I was floating in that space between nostalgia for something you never knew before and complete sadness because I couldn't rediscover that feeling ever again. If any of my roommates had caught me, I think I was just sitting up and staring into nowhere reveling in the world created by John Green's masterful writing.

I literally have no other words. I don't think that I can review this book because 1. I will spoil it beyond useful spoiling and 2. I think it's one of those books where you have to just go in with no idea of what to expect. This book I bought, and this book I will treasure for all time.

All in all: .

*Summary taken from Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment